Make sure you take good care of your own health so that you can be strong and healthy enough, both physically and mentally, to properly care for your loved one. The best way to successfully help your loved one, is to be the best you that you can be. Caregivers , like yourself, need to pay close attention to any physical and emotional issues that they may be experiencing. As a caregiver, you need to try and avoid feeling overwhelmed, burnt-out or simply exhausted. When this happens, you can reduce your body’s immune system making it more difficult to fight off illness and disease.
- Am I feeling depressed or lonely?
- Do I feel more tired than usual?
- If I got a cold or flu, who would take over my duties for me?
- If I do get sick, will my loved one catch it from me?
- Do I need a break, or at least some help?
It’s vital that we all create a healthy balance between our responsibilities to others, and our responsibility to ourselves. There are a number of things that can help caregivers feel better, happier and healthier.
A few Suggestions:
- Make sure you get some form of exercise every day; a walk, a trip to the gym, a bike ride, or whatever you enjoy. Exercise is great for you body as well as your mind!
- Don’t forget to take a daily vitamin supplement. Ask your doctor or pharmacist which supplements might be right for you.
- Visit your doctor for regular medical exams and if you have symptoms of an illness, give your doctor a call.
- It’s okay to take a break from your caregiving duties. Make sure you take time off for yourself.
- Go out with friends or family. Have some fun and relax.
- Get a flu shot and stay up to date on any other vaccines you are due for, such as pneumonia, tetanus and shingles.
- If you’re feeling depressed, talk to someone.
Adele’s Caring Angels Caregiver Service LLC. seek to provide excellent non-medical home care to our valued clients, advocate for their rights, and personify the compassion of a caring angel.
Do you, or a loved one, require assistance with activities of daily living? Do you need extra help with household chores and other housekeeping tasks? Are you in need of supportive hospice assistance? Whether you need assistance on an hourly basis, or if you are looking for 24/7 support, Adele’s Caring Angels Caregiver Service LLC. is here to meet your needs.
Remember: Caregivers should always stay up to date on their CPR in case of emergency.